Shimla-Manali Trip. Help plan the itinerary
drswain
India > States in India > India Travel > Himachal Pradesh
#1
| Member

Shimla-Manali Trip. Help plan the itinerary

Hi
I am planning for Shimla-Manali trip in June. I will be with my wife & 5 year old daughter.
1. I will be reaching Delhi on 7th June 01 PM & taking the HRTC bus to Manali in evening 7 PM.
2. Reaching Manali on 8th June. Stay upto 11th June
3. Taking bus to Shimla. Stay upto 13th June
4. Taking bus to Delhi on 13th Night.
5. Reaching Delhi on 14th. Taking the flight at 11AM

Kindly tell if the bus journey by HRTC bus is safe & comfortable or not. Especially in night from Manali to Shimla & Delhi to Manali. Is 8-11 in Manali enough as we will be reaching around 9 AM in Manali. Which time will be best to take the bus for Shimla on 11th. Is 12th one day enough for Shimla. Should we take the 13th night bus or day bus to reach Delhi. If I take the night bus can I reach Delhi Airport in time to board the flight. Also list out some must visit places/hotels in both locations. What places will be covered if I take the cab service from hotel for sightseeing. Thank you for your help.

10 Replies

#2
| Senior Member

Originally posted by: drswain View Post

Hi
I am planning for Shimla-Manali trip in June. I will be with my wife & 5 year old daughter.
1. I will be reaching Delhi on 7th June 01 PM & taking the HRTC bus to Manali in evening 7 PM.
2. Reaching Manali on 8th June. Stay upto 11th June
3. Taking bus to Shimla. Stay upto 13th June
4. Taking bus to Delhi on 13th Night.
5. Reaching Delhi on 14th. Taking the flight at 11AM

Kindly tell if the bus journey by HRTC bus is safe & comfortable or not. Especially in night from Manali to Shimla & Delhi to Manali. Is 8-11 in Manali enough as we will be reaching around 9 AM in Manali. Which time will be best to take the bus for Shimla on 11th. Is 12th one day enough for Shimla. Should we take the 13th night bus or day bus to reach Delhi. If I take the night bus can I reach Delhi Airport in time to board the flight. Also list out some must visit places/hotels in both locations. What places will be covered if I take the cab service from hotel for sightseeing. Thank you for your help.


A couple of years ago, we traveled Delhi - Manali by HPTDC bus and the night journey was safe and comfortable. No over speeding issues.

We took a cab that was returning to shimla from Manali - cost us around Rs 1300(just us and no sharing). We traveled during the day and it was tedious and boring after a certain point. Took almost 8 hours. Bad roads!

We did not enjoy Shimla much - it was too much of a concrete jungle for us. We did a Hatu peak day trip that was good, but the city itself is like any other and pretty congested and full of traffic jams etc.

Why don't you consider taking the toy train ride from Shimla to Kalka and then another train to Delhi from there - I guess if reservations are available the train ride would be much more comfortable and beautiful views too and your kid will have fun.
#3
| Member
Thanks Ravichandar for your reply.
Just wanted to know if travel by bus is good or should I take a Delhi-Manali-Shimla-Delhi package from any tour operator. Is it OK if we completely remove Shimla from the list & spend the days at Manali instead. Time is short so I am not taking the toy train. Because I have to take the rail for Delhi-Kalka route also.
Any other suggestions for my itinerary is welcome.
#4
| Senior Member

Originally posted by: drswain View Post

Thanks Ravichandar for your reply.
Just wanted to know if travel by bus is good or should I take a Delhi-Manali-Shimla-Delhi package from any tour operator. Is it OK if we completely remove Shimla from the list & spend the days at Manali instead. Time is short so I am not taking the toy train. Because I have to take the rail for Delhi-Kalka route also.
Any other suggestions for my itinerary is welcome.


It is absolutely fine if you skip Shimla. Bus is safe and comfortable. Do not go for shady private operators. Take the Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development corporation or the Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses (I went by the former and it was quite comfortable). I'm unable to give a definitive answer about your return bus - but I would take the earliest bus back to Delhi so that I do not miss the flight - even if it means having 4-5 extra hours in hand.

Most sightseeing is done by cab. I'm not sure Rohtang pass would be open when you visit. But they may take you to Solang or snow point or to the point up to which traffic is allowed when you visit.

Hidimba temple, Manu temple, Vashisht temple (take change of clothes, towel - if you want to take bath in the hot water springs) are some of the local attractions.

Naggar castle is another interesting place.

You can go to Manikaran - Gurdwara and temples and hot water springs. The route is very scenic and the hot spring bath is rejuvenating - it is like a communal bath! The lovely Kasol is en route.
#5
| The Silent One
Shimla has its own charm. If it were for me to choose, I would have kept Shimla in the picture. The ridge, mall road, lakkad bazaar give you a experience that stays with you for years.
I had done a 5 day trip which included Manikaran, rohtang, solang and shimla. We felt that we missed out on spending more time in Shimla.
We took the morning bus to Shimla from Manali, reached Shimla around 4 pm. Decent travel, no complaints. All transit was by government bus, except for sightseeing.
Sar Pass Trek , Rohtang, Munnar, Badrinath Kedarnath, Vaishnodevi, Goa, VOF, Kedarkantha, Kuari Pass, Brahmatal Trek
#6
| Humble Genius

Originally posted by: snotty View Post


I had done a 5 day trip which included Manikandan.


I didnt know you enjoyed Tamil cinema so much...
#7
| Member
Thanks Ravichandar & snotty for your inputs.
One thing I wanted to ask, What is the best mode of transport from Manali to Shimla. As I am getting very bad reviews of Private as well as Govt buses in this route like rude driving & behaviour, late arrival & departure and even unexpected cancellations at last moment etc. Will it be best if I take a cab which I think is going to cost around Rs.6000. It will also give me the sightseeing opportunity for places in this route itself.
I have made some changes to the plan. Kindly go through it & advice any changes,
1. I will be reaching Delhi on 7th June 01 PM & taking the HRTC bus to Manali in evening 7 PM.
2. Reaching Manali on 8th June. Stay upto 11th June
3. Taking bus/cab(?) to Shimla in the morning as to reach by evening on 11th. Overnight stay at Shimla (Suggest Budget Hotels providing cab for local sightseeing)
4. Local sightseeing in Shimla on 12th (is one day enough?)
5. On 13th taking the toy train at 10AM to reach Kalka by 4PM. Then taking the Kalka-Delhi Shatabdi to reach Delhi by 10PM on 13th itself. (Can I catch this train if coming by Himalayan Queen?)
6. Overnight stay at Delhi on 13th (Will it be a problem to search hotels near New Delhi railway station at 10-11PM as I am with my wife & 5 yr old daughter?)
7. Morning to Airport for taking the flight at 11AM on 14th.
Thanks
#8
| Senior Member

Originally posted by: drswain View Post

As I am getting very bad reviews of Private as well as Govt buses in this route like rude driving & behaviour, late arrival & departure and even unexpected cancellations at last moment etc. Will it be best if I take a cab which I think is going to cost around Rs.6000. It will also give me the sightseeing opportunity for places in this route itself.


The route was scenic up to Mandi from Manali - after that it was kind of drab till you start climbing towards Shimla. Best bet is finding a cab that is returning to Shimla after dropping passengers off at Manali - there are quite a few daily, may be more during season. You can try your luck the previous evening at the taxi stand. Else your hotel is the best bet. I had booked a HRTC bus and on confirming the cheaper taxi, I cancelled the ticket the previous day. Bit of gamble, but no other go!

3. Taking bus/cab(?) to Shimla in the morning as to reach by evening on 11th. Overnight stay at Shimla (Suggest Budget Hotels providing cab for local sightseeing)


We stayed at Hotel Kapil - rooms small but their cabs were not expensive.


5. On 13th taking the toy train at 10AM to reach Kalka by 4PM. Then taking the Kalka-Delhi Shatabdi to reach Delhi by 10PM on 13th itself. (Can I catch this train if coming by Himalayan Queen?)


We caught the connection as above - we traveled up to Chandigarh. No worries. The train from Simla arrived on time and the connecting train was in the adjacent platform - no climbing stairs etc! Hope the same system remains!
#9
| The Silent One
I would probably not recommend Shimla for one day. Too much of travel, too less time to explore. You could do it some other time.

Then option could be stick to Manali.
Day 1 - local Manali
Day 2 - Manikaran, Kasol (though Kasol is better for stay than just a visit)
Day 3 - Solang valley and explore Old Manali (optional if days are short)
Day 4 - Rohtang or Snow point and pony ride to waterfall. (you will need to start early morning around 4-4.30 am)
Day 5 - Jalori Pass or Bijli Mahadev (trek necessary - so check for availability of porter to help with child)
Day 6 - Naggar, waterfall near by - visit rabbit farms, local textile industry
Day 7 - reach Delhi by 6 am in morning.

Note - do not rush to Rohtang after arrival. Acclimatise for a couple of days and then go up.

I hope this confuses you sufficiently to make me shut up.. [Blush][Blush]
Sar Pass Trek , Rohtang, Munnar, Badrinath Kedarnath, Vaishnodevi, Goa, VOF, Kedarkantha, Kuari Pass, Brahmatal Trek
#10
| search is on
I agree with Snotty. One day for Simla doesn't make sense. Simla will offer precious little over what you would have already seen in Manali, even the Hatu Peak or similar "view points" would be touch and go because in June visibility is an issue. Simla is best explored on foot, having a cuppa at the Coffee House , soaking in the atmosphere of The Mall , reliving the history , but you don;t have enough time for that.

Oh a beautiful cuppa

#11
| Member
Thanks all for their replies.
No "snotty", there is nothing confusing to make you shut up. Your help for a different planning is appreciable. But the thing is, we travel very less, maybe once in a year. So have to cover Shimla even for one day if going to Manali.
Please advice, if I should take the bus or the cab for Manali to Shimla.
Thanks

Related Posts